Wednesday 13 April 2011

Ginger Crunch

Having recently moved to the UK again I always get nostalgic for New Zealand treats and goodies.  Another teacher at school kept having a Butterscotch Slice that looked very similar to Ginger Crunch but, unfortunately for me, wasn’t Ginger Crunch.  Ginger Crunch is one of those brilliant New Zealand baking recipes that provide a link to home.
Prior to coming back to the UK I ensured that I copied some of my favourite recipes from New Zealand and included Ginger Crunch.  I’m pretty sure that it originally came from the Edmonds Cook Book, but made it into my Mum’s favourite recipe book and then into a couple of mine, so it probably doesn’t match the current edition.
We also used to have a microwave version of Ginger Crunch, from the Eighty’s when everyone was learning to make everything in the microwave.  I have no idea where that recipe ended up, but the traditional recipe is probably the best, just made with a few adaptions.
This recipe worked brilliantly and my housemate is secretly addicted to it also, which is good for me or I could have easily eaten the whole tin full myself.

Ginger Crunch
2 cups flour (300g)
1 cup sugar (230g)
250g butter
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
Icing
110g butter
4 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 teaspoons ground ginger
160g icing sugar

Preheat oven to 1800C fanbake (2000C).

Sift flour, ginger and baking powder into bowl, add sugar and then rub in butter until well combined (you shouldn’t see any lumps of butter).  Press mixture into a 31x17cm brownie tin.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden.
While the base is baking prepare the icing by melting butter, vanilla essence and ground ginger in a saucepan over a low-medium heat.
Add icing sugar and stir well over low-medium heat until smooth (it will look odd initially, but as it cooks it combines to a smooth pourable icing).
Pour icing over base while both are still hot.
Cut when cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment